Position: Senior Estimation & Invoicing Engineer
Location : Ras Laffan, Qatar
Job Summary and Purpose
Accountable for the execution of the set estimating & invoicing strategy as aligned to the Business Plan and Revenue forecast. Performs the estimating & invoicing processes in a timely and effective manner in keeping with the Company’s business objectives.
1. Review Request for Quotation (RFQ) files sent to the Company from clients, to analyze the content such as drawings and supporting data to interpret, understand and confirm the scope of the work being requested.
2. Review the terms & conditions & read through the specifications, using technical knowledge, ability and skills to determine fullness or appropriateness of Request for Quotation (RFQ).
3. Based on professional evaluation of the Request For Quotation (RFQ), Populate the Tender Review Check List and seek Manager bid or no bid options. Leverage technical expertise to convince/influence management to proceed to sign-off on your projects tender order review checklist.
4. Review ship specification and Original Owner Specifications for thorough job understanding.
5. Apply a work breakdown structure, break down projects into phases, tasks, and subtasks to map out and apply a time estimate to each element and create a solid project estimate and work breakdown structure (WBS) for deliverable-oriented breakdown of a project into smaller components. including a hierarchy of specific elements; an element may be a product, data, service, or any combination thereof.
6. Performs estimation in consideration of many variables to figure out how large-scale activities will develop for the distribution of labor and for purchases of raw materials so that a certain amount of resources can be made available for carrying out a particular project. Provides accurate cost estimates as one of the vital elements of entering into the projects. Prepares quotations in response to client’s specifications and follows all procedures, available information and expert council to ensure successful estimations are delivered. Thorough understanding of business objectives and the KPIs as set from time to time, in order to ensure that estimating requirements are fully met in terms of quantity, quality, timelines and bidding success rates. Work within the necessary company framework for detailed cost estimating and guidance for schedule development and control.
7. Understanding of current market prices and tactics of the competition. Accordingly adjust the prices in consultation with the Manager. Generate a range of possible outcomes that is precise enough to be useful, creating options intended to pick the single value that is believed to be closest to the actual value, i.e point estimate.
8. Undertake, participate and provide value input to the Tender review process including review of accurate registration data, general and special terms & conditions, clause provisions, plans and drawings, Specification Amendments & Supplemental Specifications, forms etc.
9. Identify sub-contractor works and open the tendering system, subsequently review the status of sub-con enquiries sent and follow up and review quotation received and terms and conditions from sub-contractors.
10. Once material and price inputs are established, produce draft quotation from tendering system. Ensure work accuracy (proofread, make correction and update in tendering system) and establish man hour report, discount projections, job summary, programme schedules, terms and conditions, draft cover letter report, etc.
11. Ensure timely submission of quotations to owners
12. Thorough understanding of business objectives and the KPIs as set from time to time, in order to ensure that estimating requirements are fully met in terms of quantity, quality, timelines and bidding success rates.
13. Prepares quotations in response to client’s specifications and follows all procedures, available information and expert council to ensure successful estimations are delivered.
14. Understanding of current market prices and tactics of the competition. Accordingly adjust the prices in consultation with the Manager.
15. Undertake, participate and provide value input to the Tender review process including review of accurate registration data, general and special terms & conditions, clause provisions, plans and drawings, Specification Amendments & Supplemental Specifications, forms etc.
16. Perform regular checks on works carried out by estimating engineers and provide guidance and training.
17. Conduct regular meetings with the estimating engineers and share the lessons learned.
18. Ensure timely submission of quotations to owners.
19. Prepares and maintains billing file.
20. Responsible for all commercial activities, once vessels are in the yard.
21. Attends the daily on-board VSCC (& other standard industry safety meetings) meeting and provides feedback / action plans if necessary.
22. Provides quotations for additional work and submit budget update periodically to the Owners Representative.
23. Ensures collection of all documents and other related data for preparation of draft invoice.
24. Performs other duties as assigned from time to time by the Manager, such as reports, statistics etc.
Key Result Areas
• Accurate & thorough estimations
• On time estimations – Meeting tender delivery timelines
• Work Win Rate
Qualifications, Experience and Job Skills
• A Degree or Diploma in Naval Architecture, Marine Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Certificate of Competency (Marine Engineer Officer) Class 1 (Motor Ship) or its equivalent.
• Alternatively, experience in on-shore and industrial engineering fabrication, design and construction activities
• At least 5 continuous years of relevant working experience in a reputed shipyard.
• Commercial Management
• Regulatory Knowledge
• Technical Negotiation (Costing and Estimation)
• Billing Process Management
• Analytics and Reporting
• Record Keeping and Document Control